Page 4 of 5

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm
by kenwhiteside
So after the winter stint my rad is leaking. This current part is a recorded item bought second hand. I have been looking at the alloy rads on eBay. Most of them are described as s1 s2 s3 however I thought the s1 and s2 cars had a smaller rad with an oil cooler underneath. S3 has a larger rad with the beehive oil cooler. Most of the ones on eBay look like s1 s2 rads. Am I right? If so anyone know of a good s3 rad?

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 pm
by Hobbawobba
Yeah series 3 radiators are a bit taller due to not having an oil cooler underneath.

Koyo make a series 3 radiator these days which is pretty handy! :D http://koyoradracing.com/products/searc ... h+Products

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm
by kenwhiteside
I spotted them online but could not find a uk distributor?

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm
by Lucky
I got a three-core Champion Series 3 radiator from the USA. Bit thick, but you can get 2-core ones which are more like stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-1985-Maz ... SwLa9UXWDz

Bloody excellent quality and comparatively cheap (at the time, though the marvellous Brexit Effect continues to knacker the exchange rate almost daily). Be aware some aftermarket ones don't have the extra pipe union for the heater matrix!

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm
by codge
kenwhiteside wrote:So after the winter stint my rad is leaking. This current part is a recorded item bought second hand. I have been looking at the alloy rads on eBay. Most of them are described as s1 s2 s3 however I thought the s1 and s2 cars had a smaller rad with an oil cooler underneath. S3 has a larger rad with the beehive oil cooler. Most of the ones on eBay look like s1 s2 rads. Am I right? If so anyone know of a good s3 rad?
Yes S3 rads are the taller ones.
But I don't know any reason why a good radiator specialist can't recore over and over again, since it's the matrix that's usually replaced. Shouldn't a good soldered seam be as strong as the factory original?

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 pm
by spirit r
codge wrote:Yes S3 rads are the taller ones.
But I don't know any reason why a good radiator specialist can't recore over and over again, since it's the matrix that's usually replaced. Shouldn't a good soldered seam be as strong as the factory original?
Depends on the Matrix quality.

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 pm
by DB RX63
kenwhiteside wrote:I spotted them online but could not find a uk distributor?
Try Essex Rotary, I think they stock KOYO rads.

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm
by DKWW2000
spirit r wrote: Depends on the Matrix quality.
Thomas, if it is made in England the quality must be good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:20 pm
by spirit r
DKWW2000 wrote:Thomas, if it is made in England the quality must be good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.ava-cooling.at

Re: New or refurbished radiator

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm
by kenwhiteside
Bought a cheap ebay rad. Alloy thing with three rows. Looks like a knock off of Luckys one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282267296479? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It's really low quality. Arrived damaged so they refunded me. Probably would have returned it if not as its below the standard I want on my car.

I have an the original rad from the car that I will get recored. Definitely the best option in my opinion unless you are going to splash the cash for a £300 Koyo.