S2 and S3 Fuel Tank not direct swap

Anything related to fuel delivery, induction, turbos, emission control & exhausts
gt_james

S2 and S3 Fuel Tank not direct swap

Post by gt_james » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:59 pm

I have been trying to fit a replacement fuel tank in my track car. My car is Series 3.

I purchased an unused series 2 replacement tank and was under the impression that it was interchangeable with my S3 tank.

It turns out the tanks are different dimensions. Looks like the fuel capacity was increased for S3 and the spare wheel well was made shallower. This means to fit an S2 tank into a S3 a 40mm spacer is needed between the tank and spare wheel well. For now I will make a spacer from wood to check it fits but I plan on making a plastic or rubber spacer soon which won’t be a moisture trap once I know it will work.

If you have an S2 car I think fitting an S3 tank would be more of a problem, it might be possible with longer straps but the tank would hang down much lower which I would not recommend.

I have yet to determine if the Fuel level sender from an S3 can work in the S2 tank, will update if I can get it done.

Also Racing Beat Europe lists new S3 tanks, although I haven't tried to order one.

Casey

Re: S2 and S3 Fuel Tank not direct swap

Post by Casey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 pm

James, happy to buy the S2 tank if you want to sell on? Might be easier then to put the money towards an S3 tank?

I have a small leak somewhere in one of my S2 tanks, so would be put to good use :)
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 am

I have actually got it fitted now, with the spacer under the spare wheel well it fits. I may look into refurbishing the original tank and at that point the S2 tank may be available. I will let you know. For now I shall use the S2 tank as I want to get the car to retro rides.

Casey

Post by Casey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 pm

No problem James, let me know if it becomes surplus to your needs :D
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!