A Kiwis Series 3

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Hobbawobba

Re: A Kiwis Series 3

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:55 pm

There is still a bit of wiggle room with tilting the engine over and also the rear of my exhaust was hanging. That should help the gap be slightly larger! Still messing around with it all and will have a more definitive answer once it's clamped together :D

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 am

Put a sandwhich plate between the turbo and manifold to raise it up if need be.
On the angle it appears to be, you’ll get some more clearance between th UIM and turbo too.
Back in sunny France

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

Sorry I haven't posted much lately aye. Been pretty full on! Haha. I haven't messed with the tranny issue I mentioned earlier. But I have got quite a bit done in the engine bay and its starting to look pretty sweet now. I'm off to Portugal today so will try to post a proper update when I get back! :D

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 am

Good on you.....all work & no play etc. Could have timed it a bit better Jess as this could be our summer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have a good hol & look forward to see the finished job.
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Pure rotary enthusiasts never take holiday before finished the car. :lol:

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 pm

spirit r wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm
First holiday in about 7 years! :lol: :lol:

Back from holiday! I've made some decent progress in the engine bay lately. My phone camera broke :roll: , so when my girlfriend next comes over I'll get her to take some pics .

Tried giving this transmission mounting a go again today. Got the adapter bracket (thanks Keith W(p ) and brand new OEM rubber mount installed. Crossmember seems to be too far forward somehow now?!? I'm confused as. It lined up last time - just had spacing issues. Has anybody got any links that actually show installation of the part?

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 am

Hobbawobba wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 pm
spirit r wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm
First holiday in about 7 years! :lol: :lol:
7 years? So better to own Rx7 not Rx8 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Okay then. Turbo flange is still pretty close to the steering box. But it'll do for now. I ended up using the series 5 transmission crossmember and re-drilling it. The drivers side of the crossmember sits at a slightly different angle to the chassis. But once again, it'll do for now. The height spacing is allgood. Drivers side engine mount is also getting a good lean on towards the back of the car aye (it'll do for now :lol:). I think my engine bracket was welded on a very slight angle which is causing it.

Nothing particularly exciting to report. Got all the ECU connections sorted out and pretty much everything is now mounted. Ordered loads of bits and pieces to finish it all off. My friend came over and took a bunch of high quality photos which was nice. I have since tidied most of the crap out of the engine bay haha

A load of wiring I don't need anymore :oops:

Mounting my low pressure fuel pump in its new home and figuring out how big a swirl pot/surge tank I can fit under the car

I spoke to OBP about getting a custom 1.5L swirl pot made to suit the underside of our cars. They were plenty helpful and the price was very reasonable at £108 (£10 more than their standard ones I believe). I only had the fittings moved to slightly different locations to suit. The big -8AN at the very bottom faces the front of the car for reference

I have also got some aluminium fuel hard line to make up a fresh feed. I believe -6AN should be enough to keep me going (I hope). Got a bunch of Vibrant fittings and hose on its way from Canada to finish off the fuel system then it will nearly be time to fire up! I still need a propshaft though haha.

Think that's about all for now th:

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:34 pm

That is great work Jesse, impressed how you have managed to do all that outside! s(c) I love all the shiny bits, not long before you will be sya
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Great progress there Jesse - looking good :)
KIMI 1 : RX-7 1st Gen "hybrid"; 1983 S2 running gear in a 1985 S3 shell, SORN'd, long term resto project
KIMI 2 : RX-7 1st Gen; 1983 S2, "identical" twin to KIMI 1, on the road :-)
Plus a 2004 Full Bridgeported RX-8 too!