A Kiwis Series 3

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
Hobbawobba

Re: A Kiwis Series 3

Post by Hobbawobba » Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Got the intercooler on! Fits quite nicely in there. I can squeeze about 1 finger between the back of my intercooler and the crossbar tube thingy. Might make a little duct from the under tray to bottom of my oil cooler so it's more efficient. Maybe also try block off any gaps around that general area where air might go around, rather than through everything

Then took it back off...

Went and picked up the new engine in my daily :lol:. Fit with room to spare! Steve-A was kind enough to give me a hand

Got this in

Will try to get some better pictures next week.

I've since swapped over a few things like my RB oil pedestal. Gave the housings a quick wire brush to shine them up slightly which has made me want to get the polishing equipment out :lol: . Moving the engine forward the usual 20mm will mean there is a slight possibility that I won't have to modify the turbo manifold which is good! Although I didn't count on moving the engine forward :lol:. Oh well - it isn't too hard (I hope). I need to make up a new modified shifter housing and linkage as the series 1 it came from has a much further forward mounted shifter than the 2 and 3. I'll be using both my series 3 shifter housing and linkage/rod. Will probably use the Bridgeport at work during my break to drill the new hole ;) . Thankfully Austin/DreamInRotary had uploaded this video which has useful info for people WITHOUT a turbo shifter rod

I also managed to shot blast a few more bits! Just the intake manifold to go I think. Debated the hotside of the turbo but probably won't in the end :lol:

Wires

Post by Wires » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 am

looking good man, freshly blasted bits are always a nice step forward :)

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Things are looking good Jesse, I can not wait to see......It had better be ready by Aug
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Final install of the intercooler. Bumper ready to put back on. Had to trim a very small bit off the back side of my grille but it's cool. Replaced most bolts/screws with stainless (except main bumper bolts that are by the tow hooks). I would like to make some simple ducting from my undertray up to my oil cooler and around that whole area really. So air flow is much more efficient

Cut my engine mounting bracket a few weeks ago getting ready to move the engine forward.

Popped over to my friend last week and he kindly welded it up for me. Pretty stoked. Will be getting him to weld a few more things over time (coilovers at least).

With my transmission I followed the video posted earlier, as I'm using my series 3 shift rod, rather than the turbo one which had been cut to fit a series 1 (too much cut off to fit my series 3). They're different lengths so moving the hole 30mm down wouldn't work for my situation. The video goes to explain the measurement from the flat on the end linkage piece and the hole should be 283-285mm. I went with a safe 284mm :lol: . Got it in the Bridgeport at work on my break. I've ended up following the series 2/3 style where an m6 bolt with a shoulder holds the shift block (half tapped, half slightly larger and untapped). Rather than a roll pin. I'll try to get some more pics of that.

Put it back together to have a dry run and make sure it would select all gears (which it does). Then sealed the tail section onto the tranny when I was happy with it. Also sealed the rubber cap onto my shortened remote shifter tube 0-0 . Now to re-install the remote shifter housing and get the transmission back in. Oh yay :? :lol: Then I should start progressing much quicker!

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 am

Got things bolted in! Keith sent me one of those transmission mount adapters for series 3 mounting bracket on a series 5 box. Bolted it on. But for some reason the shifter housing VERY slightly rests against the body of the car as seen in the picture below. Unsure why? I guess I'll have to space the transmission mount a few mm down. Any suggestions how? Would 1 or 2 washers on each side be a safe idea for nearly 400 wheel horsepower? Any other suggestions?

I also had an attempt at mounting my exhaust. It cleared the steering box! Wooo! yay . Something That was originally going to be an issue has been resolved.
Although now it was coming in contact with one of the heatshield mounting tabs and also getting VERY close to my transmission mount, which may possibly need to be spaced down (as mentioned/questioned up there ^^). Heatshield mounting tab was easily cut off with an angle grinder. The transmission mount issue is yet to be sorted out. I think I'll try an allen key bolt with the head shaved down a bunch first off. But failing that, I'm unsure. Maybe a flexi section in that part of the exhaust will drop it enough to not cause any issues?

Once these 2 issues are sorted out, I can start making (hopefully) quick progress by bolting the intake manifolds, turbo, intercooler piping and everything else on. It's all pretty much bolted on dry/mocked up for now if that makes sense. Once I know everything works and fits as it should, I'll get the sealant and gaskets out for a final assembly

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:46 am

Have you used the S3 trans mount with it like this?

1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 am

Yeah that's how I installed it aye!

ian65

Post by ian65 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:50 pm

I’d put a thick washer under the transmission crossmember where it bolts to the body... those bolts are very long and strong so shimming it a few mm won’t hurt. Your turbo looks very tight to the steering box Jesse, you could do with some heat shield between the two but that will make things even tighter... maybe slot the engine mounts and push the lump over a touch? At the moment any kick of the engine when you go on and off the power risks the turbo touching the steering box
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help aye Ian! I'll put a few washers between as you mentioned and see how much spacing is needed. Some sort of heat shield is planned between turbo and steering box. But it's not on the priority list right this second :P . I'll see if I can tilt the engine with the slots currently on the engine bracket. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet so thanks again haha 0-0

gt_james

Post by gt_james » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am

If it's that close then maybe solid engine mounts are best? They're quite harsh but you definitely don't want the turbo touching the steering box.