White Elford Turbo repatriated to the UK

Restoring or fettling your ride ? Show us your progress.
02Anders

White Elford Turbo repatriated to the UK

Post by 02Anders » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi guys,

I only very recently joined the forum. Basically because I only very recently became a RX-7 owner...
I've always loved the first gen. RX-7's and very nearly bought a beautiful and very unmolested (it was even on stock steel wheels!) dark red one about 5 or 6 years ago while I was living in Hong Kong. But as it stands, the RX-7 which is now parked in my garage, is my first RX-7 - in fact it's even my first Mazda.

The short version of the story is that my Danish mate, Claus,with whom I co-own and run ViaRETRO, spotted a white RHD (naturally) '83 Elford Turbo for sale in Sweden. It was a British car originally, but when a previous owner moved to Sweden, he took his Elford with him. Now, two owners later, it was up for sale again and Claus went to have a closer look. As you've no doubt guessed by now, we ended up purchasing the car.

Running ViaRETRO dictates that I spend waaaay too much time typing on my laptop, so I'm going to be lazy and cheat a little here, simply to keep the amount of typing down. Rather than give you the long story, I'll give those interested links to our RX-7 tales on ViaRETRO.

Here's Claus's first introduction of our purchase: http://www.viaretro.com/2018/05/my-firs ... ord-turbo/

And here's his story on repatriating the Elford to the UK: http://www.viaretro.com/2018/07/deliver ... o-england/

While by no means mint, it appears to be a reasonably sound and healthy example. The plan is to slowly improve it bit by bit while driving and enjoying it.
First step was of course to attempt getting a UK MOT on the Elford as part of getting it re-registered in the UK. However, it failed on a massively worn idler arm. Question is, where do I get a new one?? I'll also need a set of RHD headlights, so please let me know if you have a good secondhand set knocking about!

Needless to say, once the Elford is MOT'ed and back on UK plates, I'll write another update on ViaRETRO which I'll share here as well. But updates on ViaRETRO will of course be of more significant events. So I'll certainly be coming back here with smaller updates just as I will no doubt be asking heaps of newbie questions...
Best Regards,
02Anders.

1983 Mazda RX-7 Elford Turbo

gt_james

Re: White Elford Turbo repatriated to the UK

Post by gt_james » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum, nice find!